Saturday, November 7, 2009

I´ve never loved the rain so much in my life

It rained today!!!!!!!!!! I´ve been waiting for this for a good 2 weeks. It rained all last night and all this morning and now the temperature has dropped to at least 30 C. I´m loving life again.

This will be a short post because not much has happened since the last one, but since I made it to the internet cafe today, I couldn´t neglect the blog. Something a little crazy did happen last night that I may as well talk about. Right before it started raining, I was sitting in my room, reading Collapse by Jarod Diamond (which i am really getting into right now and highly recommend), when my host sister, Marianna, opens my door hysterical and crying and saying her mom (my host mom) is not feeling well. I rush outside to where they are and find my host mom slumped in a chair and Marianna screaming at her to wake up. I helped Marianna get her out of the chair and onto the ground, where my host mom then goes unconcious. Keep in mind, I have no idea what the hell is going on and definitely do not have the language skills to ask such questions in a time of crisis. The grandmother from across the yard comes over and is also trying to wake her up and putting cold things on her head. I totally thought she was either dying or dead. I kept feeling for a pulse, but couldn´t find one. I was getting so worked up about it at this point that I almost passed out, too. Marianna kept screaming and calling people on her cell phone, while the grandmother keeps saying her name over and over and massaging her limbs. My host mom is diabetic so I assumed she was in some sort of insulin shock. I also thought for sure that they were calling people with a vehicle to come and get her and take her to a hospital. But no. Some neighbors come by, my host dad finally gets home from who knows where, and truck comes, but no one really does anything different. They just keep putting cool things on her head and saying her name and massaging her limbs. I thought they were crazy and wanted to yell and scream and tell them to get her to a doctor, but I don´t know how to say the in Guarani yet. Or Spanish, for that matter. Eventually, after at least 30 minutes of her being unconcious, she starts to come to and they´re able to move her to a chair and one of the first things she asks is if I still need my tea (I had not been feeling well that day). I assured her that I was fine, relatively, and that no, of course I don´t need any tea right now! The whole situation was absolutely crazy and I had a very difficult time sleeping last night. When my language teachers came for our language class this morning, I asked them to talk to my family so they could explain to me what the hell happened. Apparently, she had just worked herself up into a frenzy and passed out, maybe a panic attack, unhealthy conditions, she had been at the funeral of her uncle the day before, her son was being confirmed the next day, etc., etc., etc. I still don´t really buy it, but I guess that´s what happened. Hopefully it does not happen again. It really opened my eyes to some of the health problems I may be witness to once I´m out in the campo, where a trip to the doctor is not an option. (Except for me, of course. Dont´worry. I can always call the PC medical people and they´ll come pick me up immediately). I hope I can help if the need arises, at least more than I did last night.

We´re all leaving for what they call Long Field Practice next week for the whole week. We´re going to another volunteer´s site to get more of a taste of what it´s like to be a volunteer and practice some of the things that we may be doing as volunteers. The host family I stay with will probably only speak Guarani, so it should be interesting, to say the least. The week will be full of awkward sitations. But that´s what the Peace Corps is all about.

Until next time----

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I really hope your host mom is ok and takes care of herself. Despite all of our current debate about health care in the US, we really do have it pretty good compared to most people in the world. Yikes.

    Have fun with all those awkward situations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Leah Lou! I just sent you pocket folders, index cards, pens/pencils, a notebook and some gum! :) I sent them today (11/9). Also, I am going to be sending you shelf-stable probiotics. I take them. They're called Vitaminerals by HealthForce Nutritionals. It's a powder form and you mix it with water or juice. Here's the website: http://www.healthforce.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=6&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=65

    I'll try to get it to you for Christmas. :) Love you!! Cousin Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im sure you did wonderfully. Now you have new some ideas as to what to study in the lanugage.
    -kenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cultures provide different ways of expressing illness and problems. Culture bound syndromes provide extreme examples of these culturally specific expressions. Members of a culture recognize (even if subconciously) the syndrome and respond to it in an appropriate way. These conditions often have symbolic meaning - moral, social, or psychological - to the victim and those around her. The condition often links an individual case of illness with wider concerns, including his or her relationship with the wider community, supernatural forces, and the environment.
    Two syndromes come to mind:
    Ataque de Nervios - typical in Latin America (as the name suggests) can often lead to feelings of 'heat rising to the chest' followed by strange behavior, numbness, and fainting, and always percipitated by a stressfull event.
    Susto - typical in S. America. The belief that the individual is composed of a physical body plus multiple 'souls' which can wander off from the body.

    Oftentimes, sufferers of these maladies may show complete indifference to their condition when the 'come to'. This is known as 'La Belle Indifferance' and is a further signal that the individual suffers from a culture-bound, or other psychosomatic illness (as opposed to physiological malady).

    An analogy to our culture might be vomiting after wittnessing your parents having sex. Because wittnessing such an act is 'disgusting' it is important to 'cleanse' oneself. Hence the vomitting. You really feel ill, but feel better after vomitting.... even though what your parents are doing should have nothing to do with your gastrointestinal status....

    ReplyDelete